Reregistering a Motor Vehicle from a different county in South Carolina

Have more questions? Submit a request

If your motor vehicle is currently registered in another county in South Carolina and your registration is up for renewal, your residence address will first need to be updated to reflect an address in Beaufort County. This can be done through the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Instructions on how to update your residence address through their website can be found below:

Update Residence Address with DMV
  1. Visit DMV's Change My Address or Name page
  2. Click the green Change My Address button further down the page
  3. Click the green Next button at the bottom of the page
  4. Enter your Driver's License number, SSN, and date of birth, then click the Next button at the bottom of the page
  5. Update your address information under the "Residence Address" section, then click the Next button at the bottom of the page
  6. Review all the updated information, then if prompted submit the changes for processing
  7. You should reach a confirmation page indicating the update was successful

If you run into issues updating your driver's license information online, you will either need to call DMV at 803-896-5000 (Columbia), 843-379-8822 (Beaufort) or 843-815-6981 (Bluffton), visit one of their agencies in person, or complete the "Application for Name and/or Address Change (SCDMV Form 4057)" form located on their website: Change My Address or Name

Note that your physical driver's license does not need to reflect a Beaufort County address as long as it has been updated in DMV’s records. Once your address has been updated, our office will need the following:

  • Driver’s licenses of the listed vehicle owners
  • The most current vehicle registration or the vehicle title

The requested documentation can be submitted to our office through the request ticket form linked below. Copies can be scans or images taken from a smartphone, as long as the information is legible and preferably in PDF or a common image file format (PNG, JPEG). Following the creation of your account and payment processed with the Beaufort County Treasurer’s office (843-341-8404), you will need to take your paid tax receipt to DMV to obtain your updated decal and registration.

However, if you are moving to Beaufort County and your registration does not expire within the next 90 days, you will just need to update your address with DMV, and DMV will automatically forward billing information to our county when your renewal comes due.

Submit your information

If you need a bill generated to renew your soon-to-expire registration, please provide our office the above applicable documentation by filling out and attaching documents to the request ticket form linked here:
Motor Vehicle Request Ticket

Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
1 out of 1 found this helpful
  • 843-258-5434