Received a 120 Days Motor Vehicle bill, but the vehicle has been reregistered out of state

Have more questions? Submit a request

If the vehicle you received a 120 Days tax bill for has been registered out of state, the bill may be able to be prorated once the South Carolina license plate has been turned in to the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Plate returns can be done either in person with their office, the plate can be mailed in, or it can be reported “turned in” through their online website. Plate return information can be found here: License Plate Return

If the plate is mailed in or turned in in person, you should receive a Form 5051. If the plate is reported “turned in” online, you should reach a confirmation page. Once the license plate has been successfully inactivated, please forward our office a copy of your out of state registration, and we can work on prorating the tax bill. Copies can be sent using the request ticket form linked below. Please be aware we determine the proration period based on the number of months the South Carolina license plate was active.

For any questions or issues regarding license plate returns, DMV can be reached at either 803-896-5000 (Columbia), 843-379-8822 (Beaufort) or 843-815-6981 (Bluffton).

Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
  • 843-258-5434