Active duty military exemptions on 120 Days Motor Vehicle accounts

Have more questions? Submit a request

For members of the military who are active duty, claim their home of record in a state other than South Carolina, and are currently stationed in South Carolina, personal property exemption benefits are available for motor vehicles. If you are active duty and received a 120 Days tax notice in the mail, our office will need the following:

  • The active duty member’s Leave and Earning Statement (LES) for the month the decal expires
  • If the active duty member recently checked in to South Carolina, their signed and stamped Original Orders (printouts of the online Web Orders are not accepted) or Reporting Endorsement Orders
  • If a co-owner is listed, the front and back of their dependent military ID if they are a dependent, or their military ID and respective LES’s if they are also active duty

The requested documentation can be submitted to our office by filling out the request ticket form linked at the bottom of this article. Copies can be scans or images taken from a smartphone, as long as the information is legible and preferably in PDF or a common image file format (PNG, JPEG). Please also include either your PIN (Property ID) or AIN (Alt ID), or the vehicle’s VIN or plate number, in the body of your message.

However, if a non-dependent or non-active duty member is listed as a co-owner on the vehicle registration, you may be entitled to a half military exemption instead of the full exemption, and a partial amount of the vehicle bill would need to be paid with the Beaufort County Treasurer’s office (843-341-8404). You will also receive a paid tax receipt from the Treasurer.

Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
  • 843-258-5434