Disabled veterans requesting a refund on paid Motor Vehicle taxes

Have more questions? Submit a request

If you paid the taxes for your motor vehicle but you are a 100% totally and permanently disabled veteran, you may be eligible to receive exemptions on up to 2 motor vehicles. A “PT-401I” form will need to be completed and submitted to the South Carolina Department of Revenue (DOR). Once this form has been processed, DOR will mail you a “Property Tax Exemption Approval” letter that can then be forwarded to our office for additional processing.

Please be aware that refunds are determined by the "Tax Year" you are approved, which would be listed on your approval letter. For example, if you paid your 2023 and 2024 vehicle property tax bills, but DOR approves you for Tax Year 2024 moving forward, we will only be able to refund the 2024 taxes. Likewise, refunds can only be requested on paid property tax bills up to 2 years after you made your payment.

If you have already completed this process through DOR for the vehicle you paid your property taxes for, please notify our office by using the request ticket form linked at the bottom of this article. Note that every other year, DMV charges a “renewal” fee that we cannot refund or exempt. The fee is either paid with the Beaufort County Treasurer’s office or directly through the South Carolina DMV.

Additionally, anytime you sell or replace an exempt vehicle with a different vehicle, you must redo the application process with DOR for your latest vehicle purchase and have your old vehicle information removed from their records. Transferring your license plate off your exempt vehicle to your replacement vehicle will not automatically carry over your exemption benefits.

For questions on the vehicle exemption process, DOR can be reached at 803-898-5700 or Property.Exemptions@dor.sc.gov, while additional information can be found on their website: Exempt Property

Articles in this section

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
  • 843-258-5434